Thursday, April 8, 2010

Oversold?



The book The Shack has been a publishing phenomenon over the past couple of years. I have received it as a present from two different friends - both insisting that it is "a must read". Some people claim to have found purpose in life after reading the book. The book centers on the question of faith as the main character, filled with doubt and pain, confronts and talks to God in His different personas.

I have not finished the book yet - and the reason is that it has not gotten to me to compel me to turn pages quickly. Perhaps it has to do with my own doubts and questions about faith. I hope, in the end, as I finish the book, I will arrive at an obvious conclusion: doubt is key to faith.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey J, Wht an enriching blog

How do I re-connect with thuwein

Vicensia Fuko

Anonymous said...

JM, If you haven't read "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins, please, please, please have it in a queue as your next read in faith/religion category. I suppose that one you will read non stop -- I bet its premise aligns better with your outlook on this matter. You will most certainly add more ammo in your stand as to why you dont believe or believe the way you do.

I would bet my money you belong in the agnostic category or better yet, atheist. But declaring that can indeed prove costly for a public figure


Edgar

Majaliwa said...

JM,

And,even better still,you could read The Dawkins Delusion?, Atheist fundamentalism and the denial of the divine by Christian theologian Alister McGrath and psychologist Joanna Collicutt McGrath.

It will give you even better ammo as to the reasons why you do believe and why,unlike the "total dogmatic conviction of correctness" of atheism latest high priest,Dawkins,doubt is actually health in these matters.Indeed,faith comes by hearing and not by non gracious&hysterical arguments by Dawkins's fundamentalist atheism. Ubarikiwe.
Cheers,
wachumi.blogspot.com

Thuwein said...

Vice upo wapi wewe?

thuwein@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

then seat back and enjoy an even more enriching dialogue with Richard Dawkins, author
of “The God Delusion” and Alister McGrath, author of “Dawkins' GOD: Genes, Memes,
and the Meaning of Life”.

Enjoy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6474278760369344626#

Anonymous said...

and this Georgetown University’s enlightening debate between Christopher Hitchens and
Alister McGrath.

VIDEO
http://fora.tv/2007/10/11/Christopher_Hitchens_Debates_Alister_McGrath